1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Academic Programs
  4. »Advanced Programs for Licensure
  5. »Kansas Endorsements in Special Education

College of Education

College of Education
006 Bluemont Hall
1114 Mid-Campus Drive North
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-7304 fax

Kansas Endorsements in Special Education

Tuition Information: See the Cashiers and Student Accounts website for tuition and fee schedules.

For more information about the coursework and program: Dr. Warren Whitewwhite@k-state.edu

For more information: Diane Murphy, K-State Licensing Officer – dim@k-state.edu

Kansas State University prepares special education teachers at the graduate level in a cross-categorical program with two areas of specialization:

  • High Incidence Special Education (Online)
    High incidence special education is a program designed to prepare educators to work with children and youth with mild to moderate disabilities. To obtain this endorsement, you must be eligible for licensure in elementary or secondary education. This program is available online with the option of some courses being available on the Manhattan campus.

  • Low Incidence Special Education (Online)
    Low incidence special education is an education program designed for children and youth for whom the general education curriculum is not appropriate. Approximately 15,000 Kansas public school students need a more functional curriculum, and there is a significant shortage of low incidence special education teachers. You must have the High Incidence endorsement to add the Low Incidence. This program is available online only.

Each area of specialization (High Incidence and Low Incidence) has a separate course sequence designed by the College of Education. These areas have been approved by the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The special education endorsement can be granted to a person who holds a valid Kansas teaching license.

A special education endorsement can be met without completion of the master’s degree. However, most people choose to complete the master’s degree while working toward full endorsement. Completing the master's degree is recommended by the special education faculty. Students who intend to complete a master’s degree should apply for admission to the master’s program before completing nine hours of graduate coursework.

Students pursuing a master’s degree in special education are required to complete requirements for full endorsement in High Incidence Disabilities. However, when feasible, it is advisable to plan master’s programs that also lead to Low Incidence Disabilities special education endorsement. A minimum of 30 hours of academic credit comprising an appropriate program of study must be approved early in the student’s master’s degree program by the student’s supervisory committee and the Graduate School.

Application Procedures for the Endorsements

Students with questions about this process should contact Di Murphy, College of Education licensure officer, 013 Bluemont Hall, (785) 532-5524, dim@ksu.edu or see the Licensing and Endorsement Assistance web page.

Seeking Provisional Endorsement (for teachers offered a job in a Special Education High Incidence classroom that have not completed the full program)

  1. Complete the following courses:
    • EDSP 711 – Characteristics of Exceptionalities (3 credits)
    • EDSP 742 – Intervention: Emotional and Behavior Disorders (3 credits)
    • EDSP 743 – Intervention: Academic Disabilities (3 credits)
    • EDSP 785 – Practicum I
  2. Hold a position as a High Incidence special education teacher.
  3. Fill out Form 4 (Provisional License) from the KSDE website.

The Provisional endorsement is in effect for two years and may be renewed for an additional two years. At the time of renewal, the candidate must have completed 50% of the courses remaining for full endorsement. The entire sequence of courses for the full endorsement must be completed within four years.

Seeking Full Endorsement

  1. Complete K-State’s course and practicum requirements for full endorsement.
  2. Take the Praxis exam for the endorsement. See the Praxis Kansas Test Requirements website to find the required test and scores for Kansas. There is a separate test for High Incidence and Low Incidence. You must have your score sent to Kansas State University – enter code # 6334 when registering for the Praxis.
  3. Complete the KSDE Form 1 Application to add the endorsement to your current teaching license.

Requirements for obtaining provisional endorsement when in the bachelor’s program:

  • Students in the elementary or secondary teacher education programs may select designated courses to fulfill the requirements for provisional endorsement in High Incidence Disabilities special education while completing the undergraduate degree. The programs are the QuickStart Program(for elementary education majors) and the StepAhead Program (for secondary education majors).
  • Individuals completing one of these early start programs will be eligible for provisional endorsement in High Incidence Disabilities special education after accepting a special education teaching position. The provisional endorsement allows the candidate to work as a special education teacher while taking the remaining courses and practicum for the full special education endorsement.
  • It is very important to talk with your advisor about your interest in provisional endorsement due to the complexity of the programs and additional considerations about enrollment, the practicum, and other related issues.
  • EDSP 785 – Practicum I should be taken for graduate credit for both the QuickStart and the StepAhead programs if your eventual goal is to earn a Master’s degree. If you have questions, please contact a faculty member in Special Education.

Endorsement Policies at Kansas State University

  • At least half of the credits required for special education endorsement must be earned at Kansas State University, including EDSP 742 and EDSP 743 and one practicum before the College of Education may recommend the candidate for special education endorsement.
  • Teachers are endorsed in special education at the level in which they hold their regular teaching license. Individuals who hold K-12 licenses in content areas such as music, art, or physical education will need to make up deficiencies in elementary education if they wish to be endorsed in K-12 special education.
  • Teachers fully endorsed at the elementary level in special education may add secondary-level licensure by completing the secondary level course and a practicum at that level.
  • Teachers are responsible for initiating their own endorsement.
  • Provisional endorsement is not granted until the applicant is employed in a special education position.
  • If at all possible, candidates should apply for endorsement renewal at the end of the spring semester. However, if coursework is not completed by then, the application may be made near the end of the summer session.
  • To be recommended for endorsement, the student must have a 3.0 GPA overall in graduate work and must not receive a grade lower than a B in the 12 hours of core courses and practicum (EDSP 711, EDSP 742, EDSP 743, and EDSP 785). The program is subject to change depending on actions taken by the Kansas State Department of Education.