1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Academic Programs
  4. »Academic Program Areas
  5. »Master of Arts in Teaching
  6. »Licensure Information

College of Education

photo of MAT student Andrea Graham in the classroomphoto of MAT student Blake Stevens in the classroomphoto of MAT student Steven Thomas in the classroom

College of Education
006 Bluemont Hall
1114 Mid-Campus Drive North
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-7304 fax

Dr. Thomas S. Vontz
Professor and Director

Eileen Wertzberger
Coordinator of Field Experiences

Julie Hunt
K-State Online
College of Education
Academic Program Coordinator
1-800-622-2578 (toll free)

Licensure Information

Applying for Kansas Licensure

At the beginning of the spring semester, you should register with the Career Center to obtain access to job listings, participate in interviews, and have your resume referred to employers. In addition to registering with the Career Center, you should be familiar with the services and resources they offer.

Completion of the MAT is partial fulfillment of the Kansas State Department of Education (KSDE) requirements for a two-year initial license. The KSDE requires that all teachers pass the PRAXIS II Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) Grades K-6 test as well as the PRAXIS II Elementary Education: Content Knowledge for Teaching test.

To receive a Kansas teaching license, those who have completed an appropriate teacher education program must submit an application for the initial teaching license through the Center for Student Success and Professional Services. As an applicant for a Kansas teaching license, you should be aware that the application requests information on prior felonies and diversion agreements. Conviction of certain misdemeanors and all felonies may result in denial of licensure. Fingerprints and a KBI/FBI background check are also required upon application for an initial Kansas teaching license. Questions about this should be addressed to the university’s licensing officer at 785-532-5524.

The KSDE license application form should be submitted online AFTER May 1 for May completers.

Obtaining Licensure in Your State

Kansas is a part of National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) maintains reciprocal teacher certification agreements with all 50 states and US Territories.

Teacher License Reciprocity from the Education Commission of the States

Transferring your Kansas Teaching License to Other States

Note: This image map has been optimized on a computer-based platform and will not work correctly on a mobile-based platform.

Click on a state below to be directed to information about that state's licensure transfer requirements

United States MapColoradoKansas Oklahoma Texas New Mexico Arizona California Nevada UtahIdahoWashingtonOregonMontanaWyomingNebraskaSouth DakotaNorth DakotaMinnesotaWisconsinMichiganIowaMissouriIllinoisArkansasLouisianaMississippiTennesseeKentuckyIndianaOhioWest VirginiaPennsylvaniaNew YorkVermontNew HampshireMaineMassachusettsConnecticutNew JerseyNew YorkDelawareMarylandVirginiaNorth CarolinaSouth CarolinaGeorgiaAlabamaFloridaAlaskaHawaiiDistrict of ColumbiaRhode Island