Liberal, Kansas K-STEP UP Program
"This program opens the doors of opportunity – from one side of Kansas to the other – and prepares teachers who reflect the children in their communities."
Students complete their general education classes in two years at Seward County Community College (SCCC), and transfer the sixty SCCC credits to K-State. Students will complete their education-related courses for K-State online. You will experience student teaching in Liberal, Kansas School District, allowing K-STEP UP students to earn a degree from K-State while never leaving home.
Liberal, Kansas School District #480
Liberal USD #480 is passionate about hiring quality teachers who have ties to our community. The best possible teachers, we believe, are those who have attended our schools and are now ready to lead classrooms with children who are just like them.
Our district has 8 schools, which means there are multiple employment opportunities and that translates into economic stability for USD 480 teachers, administrators and school counselors. At USD #480, our greatest strength is our diversity and our best teachers were once our own students.
This program gives our graduates all the resources of a Big XII institution without the costs associated with leaving home.
Benefits of this partnership include:
- Student teaching in Seward County and supervised by local teachers
- On-site mentoring provided by a district leader
- Dedicated academic advisor located at SCCC
- Dedicated academic advisor located at K-State
- Classes taught by K-State faculty with more than 1,000 years of K-12 teaching experience
- Forever EdCats, K-State’s free teacher mentoring program for alumni during their first three years in the classroom
Seward County Community College (SCCC)
In an effort to create a talented pool of teachers for Liberal for the foreseeable future, Seward County Community College has entered into a partnership program, K-STEP UP, that will allow our graduates to earn a bachelor’s degree in education from while living at home.
Working with the K-State College of Education and USD #480, SCCC will serve as the important conduit of higher education offering general education courses and a dedicated academic advisor. These credits will transfer to K-State, where students will then take education courses online. Students will complete their student teaching experience in our local schools and be supervised by a teacher mentor.
- Lowers the cost of attending college
- Makes it possible to attain a bachelor’s degree from a highly rated institution without leaving home
- Provides you the education and experience to become a successful teacher
- Positively impacts your employment opportunities and earning potential for the rest of your life!
- Seward County Residents – Tuition and Fees for 30 Hours
- One Year = $3,390; Two Years = $6,780
- Student Living Center
- One Year = $5,110; Two Years = $10,220
- One Year = $700; Two Years = $1,400
- One Year = $9,200; Two Years = $18,400