1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Office of Field Experiences
  4. »Student Internship

College of Education

College of Education
006 Bluemont Hall
1114 Mid-Campus Drive North
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-7304 fax

Eileen Wertzberger
Coordinator of Field Experiences

Student Teaching (Internship)

The professional semester is commonly known as student teaching. It occurs in the fall or spring semester of the senior year. There is no student teaching experience offered during summer sessions. Student teaching is graded credit/no credit. Much of the information that follows can be found in a brochure entitled Professional Semester Information, available in the Office of Field Experiences, 201 Bluemont Hall.

It is the responsibility of the university to assign you to accredited schools with licensed teachers in the primary field for which you are preparing to teach. Student teaching has two major purposes. It provides university personnel the opportunity to evaluate you under authentic conditions, and it provides an extended, realistic teaching experience for you.

Because of the strong evaluation component, there are several limitations to the kind and place of the student teaching experience. College of Education personnel and cooperating school districts make student teaching arrangements. You are not to contact schools or school personnel regarding your student teaching placement or attempt to make your own arrangements for student teaching. Generally, you will not be placed in a high school you attended, nor will you be placed with teachers you know or teachers whom your relatives or friends know. Typically, you are not placed in a school or school district where your family, your friends, or friends of your relatives work or attend school. For the good of candidates, the university makes every effort to avoid even the appearance of favoritism. Your degrees and licenses are based on successful completion of a teacher education program. Graduates of K-State’s teacher education program should not be put in jeopardy by having the validity of their degrees and/or credentials questioned because their field experiences involved or were supervised by individuals whose relationships might be construed as partisan.

Whenever possible we will place you in professional development schools. These are schools with which K-State has a partnership, where a clinical instructor is employed part-time by the university to work with K-State students in the field, and where teachers have had special preparation to work with K-State students.

Student teaching is a total experience for a full semester or more. It lasts all day, and you follow the schedule of the school to which you are assigned. The school may start prior to the beginning of the K-State semester and/or extend beyond the end of the K-State semester. You are not to be involved in any activities such as work, curricular or extracurricular activities, or outside responsibilities that interfere with student teaching. During student teaching, you will take over more and more of the teaching responsibilities of the classes to which you are assigned until you are primarily responsible for most or all of them. From time to time a supervisor from the university will evaluate your progress.

Secondary education candidates generally student teach within a 45-mile radius of Manhattan. Elementary education students student teach in a professional development school within a 20-mile radius of campus, in Topeka or in Kansas City, KS area. You may commute to the student teaching site or live in the community to which you are assigned. Required seminars are held throughout the semester. Currently, you can request schools, school districts, and grade levels in which you would like to student teach. The personnel making assignments will use these requests as input; however, there is no assurance that you will be assigned to your requested placements. For information about the various student teaching programs, you may inquire at the Office of Field Experiences, 201 Bluemont Hall, 532-6158.

Student Teaching Portfolio

As part of the requirements for licensure in the state of Kansas, preparation programs are required to submit a student work sample, which commonly takes the form of a portfolio of candidate work. The K-State College of Education Curriculum and Instruction portfolio is provided for students on the current Canvas page.

To be eligible for student teaching, you must:

  • Complete prerequisites as noted in the program descriptions
    in the previous sections of this handbook
  • Be fully admitted to teacher education
  • Have completed all of the required course work
  • Have completed at least 90 semester hours
  • Have an overall GPA of:
    • Pre-Fall 2013: at least 2.5 in all college or university course work attempted
    • Began program in Fall 2013: at least 2.75 in all college or university course work attempted
  • Have a teaching field GPA of:
    • Pre-Fall 2013: at least 2.5 (non-elementary)
    • Began program in Fall 2013: at least 2.75 (non-elementary)
  • Have submitted proof of American Red Cross First Aid and CPR certification (or equivalent) by showing original cards to personnel in 261 Bluemont Hall
  • Have completed all service and professional hours
  • Have had a tuberculin health check to verify good health
    The original tuberculin health form must be submitted to 261 Bluemont Hall

Additionally, if you are in elementary education, you must have a 3.0 GPA in the five major methods courses and accompanying practica and a minimum grade of "C" in each of the courses. If you are in secondary education, you must have a minimum grade of "C" in all teacher education courses. If you have documented disabilities, you should request accommodations at the time you apply for student teaching.