1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Center for Student Success and Professional Services
  4. »Licensing
  5. »Licensing FAQs

College of Education

Advisor Kelly Briggs advises an undergraduate studentAdvisor Mechelle Martinez works with students

Licensing FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

I completed the requirements to add an endorsement.
How do I get the endorsement on my teaching license?

Go to the KSDE License Application website.  If you completed the coursework and the testing requirement, complete Form 1 to add the endorsement to your existing license. If you are adding the endorsement with test only, complete Form 22.

I want to add an endorsement and renew my license at the same time. How do I do that?

To avoid paying two fees, you will want to send both applications to KSDE together. If you are adding the endorsement by just passing the subject/content test, get the application from the KSDE website. The application to renew your license is found on the same site. You need to send both forms directly to KSDE with payment.

If you have completed all the coursework and PRAXIS test for an additional endorsement, you will want K-State to recommend you for the endorsement, so paperwork must be sent to our office.

I tried to submit my online application, but it was rejected, telling me to fill out a paper application. Why?

License applications ask about a prior history of felonies, crimes involving theft, drugs, or a child, denied licenses, or teaching offenses. If you have been involved in any of these activities, you will need to provide documentation about them. Therefore, you are asked to submit a paper application, along with the documentation. The application can be picked up in our office, and must be submitted to our office. We will verify your education program and forward all information to KSDE.

How long after I submit my online application to K-State will I receive my license?

Once you submit your application to K-State, we check to see that you have all the required transcripts and scores. If we have all of your information, we try to have the application approved and sent to KSDE within 10 days. At that point, you are sent an automated email explaining the payment process for KSDE. You may need to check your Junk mailbox to find this email. After KSDE receives your payment, you can typically expect your license in 4-6 weeks.

If you are a recent graduate applying for your first Initial License, we ask that you submit your application about 2 weeks before you complete your final classes. We must hold your application until your degree is posted, typically 2 weeks after finals.

Where do I get my fingerprints done?

The fingerprint cards and mailing envelope are available in the Licensing Office (13 Bluemont Hall) or can be ordered from KSDE. You can get your fingerprints taken at many police stations. In Manhattan, the K-State Campus Police Department will do the fingerprinting for you. There is usually a charge for the service. The fingerprint card is then put into the addressed envelope along with a $50 check to Kansas State Department of Education for the background check.

How long are my background check (fingerprints) valid?

A fingerprint clearance is only valid for 6 months. If you submit the fingerprint card/fee but can't be licensed until more than six months later, you will be required to submit a new fingerprint card/fee.

I have an Emergency Substitute License and had to do a background check to get it. Do I need to have another background check to get my Initial License?

An Emergency Substitute (E-Sub) license is in effect for an academic school year (July 1 – June 30). If you get your Initial License before your E-Sub expires, you do not need to do another background check. If the license expires, you will need to complete another background check. It is cheaper to renew your E-Sub license rather than resubmit a background check.

How do I upgrade my Initial Specialist or Leadership license to a Professional Specialist or Leadership license?

To move from the Initial Specialist or Leadership License to the Professional License, you must complete a one year mentorship, monitored through the school district. This process does not involve KSU. Contact KSDE to get more information on this process.

Counselors who complete the direct entry Parallel Pathway program will do a one-year internship monitored by K-State faculty. Contact Dr. Judy Hughey at jhughey@k-state.edu for more information on this process.

I just completed my degree in Education.
Which license am I ready for?

If you have just completed your degree in Education and passed the PLT and Subject/Content test, you are ready for the Initial License. If you haven’t passed both tests, you can apply for a One Year Non-Renewable License. Use the Form 1 Instructions (PDF), but mark One Year Non-Renewable as the type of license desired.

I am interested in the English as a Second Language Endorsement. What do I need to know?

K-State offers a K-6 approved program for those who complete the five required courses including the Elementary Practicum and pass the content test. The ESL Area of Concentration requires the five classes. K-State offers a 6-12 approved program for those who complete the five required courses including the Secondary Practicum and pass the content test. KSDE allows students to add the PK-12 endorsement if you can pass the content test. This is called “test-only” and does not require certain coursework. If you plan to teach in other states, the approved program is the best option since not all states allow you to add endorsements with the “test-only” rule.

Adding the endorsement along with your initial license:

  • If you completed K-State’s approved program and took the test, apply using the online Form 1 for either K-6 or 6-12 level.
  • If you completed K-State’s approved program and took the test but want a PK–12 level, apply using a paper Form 1, asking for K-6 or 6-12, and PK-12.
  • If you did not complete all of the required coursework but passed the test, you can complete online Form 1.

Please call (785) 532-5524 or e-mail Diane Murphy (dim@k-state.edu) or Janel Harder (janelh@k-state.edu) with questions about this process.

I am interested in the Special Education Provisional Endorsement. What do I need to know?

To get a Provisional Endorsement in High Incidence (Adaptive) Special Ed, you must have met these requirements: 

  • You must have completed the required coursework (EDSP 710, 742, 743, and 745). These courses are part of the Undergraduate QuickStart (Elementary) or Step Ahead (Secondary) programs.
  • You must have a job teaching in Special Education.
  • You must meet with Dr. Warren White  at wwhite@k-state.edu to discuss the Plan of Study.

If you are applying for your Provisional Special Education endorsement at the same time as your Initial License, use the paper Form 1 for your Initial License. Fill out the paper application Form 4 (from Bluemont 13) and have the school administrator sign it verifying that you have a job teaching Adaptive Special Education. Turn both paper Form 1 and Form 4 in at Bluemont 13. Pay fee to KSDE for the Initial license only. KSDE has an online application Form 4. If you are adding the Provisional license after your Initial, you may be able to use this form.

The Provisional license is good for 2 years. It can be renewed once if 50% of the remaining coursework is complete.

Please call (785) 532-5524 or e-mail Diane Murphy (dim@k-state.edu) or Janel Harder (janelh@k-state.edu) with questions about this process.

For more information, contact:

Di Murphy
Licensing Officer

Janel Harder
Administrative Officer