James E. Sanders
Team: Kansas City Monarchs
Born: August 31, 1934, Fairfield, Alabama
Baseball Career Highlights:
One year as a Kansas City Monarch, Sanders' batting average was .325. He also played in an East-West All Star game.
"I married Juanita Henderson and we have two children, Rodney and Romona, and four grandchildren, Paris, Darryl, Venice and Sydney. As a 20-year employee at Kelly Manufacturing Company, I was president of the local union. In addition, I was the owner/operator of Jake's Lawn Care. I also served as the basketball and football coach at Englewood Elementary School, and a YMCA coach."
Awards, Honors, Titles, Championships,
• YMCA Award
• Antioch Baptist, Bethel Baptist Church and First Baptist
• Honored by the National Baseball Hall of Fame in a Salute
to the Negro Leagues - 1990
• NAACP Honor
• Robinson Elementary, Forest Hills Middle School and St.
Mary's School Honors
• Cascade Youth Parade Grand Marshal
• Birmingham Black Barons (Southern League) Honors
Source: NLBM Legacy 2000 Players' Reunion Alumni Book, Kansas City Missouri: Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, Inc., 2000.