1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Adult and Continuing Education
  4. »Master of Science
  5. »FAQs

College of Education

If you have questions or comments about the Master of Science in Adult and Continuing Education, please send an e-mail to adulteducation@k-state.edu.

College of Education
006 Bluemont Hall
1114 Mid-Campus Drive North
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66506

785-532-7304 fax

Master's Degree Program FAQs

General Program FAQs
Curriculum FAQs
Admission Requirement FAQs
Application Process FAQs
Financial FAQs

General Program FAQs

Is a thesis required?

No. Instead of a thesis or oral exam, you will submit an electronic portfolio documenting your learning through the degree program. See Portfolios for additional information.

How long does it take to complete the master’s degree?

Depending on delivery format and transfer credit, students generally take 1-3 years to complete the Master’s degree. The Graduate School requires that master's degrees be completed within 6 years and you must be enrolled at K-State during the semester you complete the program and graduate.

Is the Adult and Continuing Education master’s degree accredited?

Yes. Kansas State University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission.

How much time should I expect to spend on master’s-level course work?

The workload in the master’s degree program is comparable to graduate-level courses offered in traditional classroom-based programs. Most students spend 12 to 15 hours per week on each course.

Can I take time off from my master’s degree coursework once I enter the program?

The program is flexible and allows you to skip a course in the sequence. However, understand that required courses may only be offered once a year. You must be enrolled in coursework during the semester you complete the degree requirements and graduate.

Will I have time to work a full-time job and pursue a master’s degree?

The Adult and Continuing Education program has served working adults for over 25 years, and the vast majority of our students have full-time jobs. The 7-8 week course sessions and availability of courses online or in a one night per week format help working professionals juggle work and school responsibilities. Faculty appreciate the experience full-time working students bring to classroom discussions.

Does the adult education master’s program focus on any particular area of the industry?

No. This program is designed to meet the needs of students from various fields. The faculty is experienced with a diverse population of professionals and can assist learners in applying theories and concepts to various career fields. Advisors (major professors) will work with you to find elective courses that interest you and are applicable to your career.

Will I have an advisor?

Yes. After you are admitted to the degree program, an advisor (major professor) will be assigned.

Can I transfer any graduate level course work to the program?

Yes, you may transfer up to 9 credit hours* toward the Master of Science degree of Adult and Continuing Education. However, transfer credit evaluation is not a part of the admission process. To have a course considered for transfer credit, you must submit the syllabus from the course to your academic advisor (major professor) who will move the course through the decision process. If you have questions about transfer credit prior to admission, please contact Dr. Judy Favor or Dr. Royce Ann Collins.

*Ft. Leavenworth students enrolled in ILE or who have completed ILE within six years should refer to the Ft. Leavenworth agreement or contact Dr. Royce Ann Collins.

Kansas State University accepts graduate credit from another institution only under the following conditions:

  • The other institution is accredited by a regional accrediting association to offer graduate degree programs appropriate to the level of the credit to be transferred;
  • The credit is fully acceptable to the other institution in satisfaction of its own advanced degree requirements;
  • The credits were not already applied to an earned graduate degree;
  • The credit is applicable to the Master’s degree of Adult and Continuing Education at K-State;
  • The grade received was a B or better; and
  • The credits were earned no longer than six years prior to the semester in which the program of study is approved.

How is the Adult and Continuing Education graduate program at K-State different from others in the field?

The K-State Adult and Continuing Education faculty has a long history of working with a variety of adult educators from various professions and are committed to helping students tailor the program to meet their specific needs. The courses are flexible to allow students to focus on their specific profession or expand their skills to other areas of adult education.

Curriculum FAQs

What are the required courses for the Master of Science in Adult and Continuing Education?

There are 6 required courses (18 of the 33 credits) in the degree program.

  • EDACE 780: Introduction to Adult Education (3 credit hours)
  • EDACE 790: Characteristics of the Adult Learner (3 credit hours)
  • EDACE 818: Social Foundations of Adult Education (3 credit hours)
  • EDACE 830: Program Planning in Adult Education (3 credit hours)
  • EDACE 847: Adult Learning and Motivation (3 credit hours)
  • EDCEP 816: Research Methods (3 credit hours) 
    EDACE 886: Adult Education Research (3 credit hours)

What are the options to complete the 15 credit hours of electives?

You may choose electives from adult education courses or from other disciplines through transfer or certificate programs. For instance, many adult education master’s degree students have completed the Academic Advising Certificate program to satisfy their elective credits. For a complete listing of graduate certificate programs at K-State, please visit the K-State Division of Continuing Education Certificate Programs page.

What are certificate programs?

Certificate programs provide an opportunity to specialize in a certain topic area by completing 12 to 18 credits of coursework in that area. A variety of Graduate Certificate programs are available through the Division of Continuing Education. For most graduate certificate programs, students must be admitted to the certificate program in order to pursue courses, even if they are already admitted to the adult education master’s degree program. Certificate program courses may have pre-requisites, and students are required to follow policies of the certificate program.

Admission Requirement FAQs

Is the GRE or MAT required for admission into the master’s program?

No entrance exams are required for the master’s degree.

Are letters of recommendation required for the master’s degree?


If my bachelor’s degree is not in education, will I need any additional coursework for the master’s degree in Adult and Continuing Education?

No. Applicants may have a bachelor's degree in any area.

Does it matter where my bachelor’s degree was earned?

Your bachelor degree must have been completed at a regionally accredited institution. If you earned less than 60 credit hours at the institution granting the degree, you will also need to submit two official transcripts from all institutions attended.

What is an official transcript?

Official transcripts are sent directly from your institution to K-State and do not bear the stamp “issued to student.” Most institutions have a website where you can order transcripts online, though there is usually a fee associated with this service.

If you have credits from K-State, we can obtain a copy of your K-State transcript with no cost to you.

Do I list all colleges I attended to earn my bachelor degree on the application?

No, only list the institution where the degree was earned unless fewer than 60 credits were earned from that institution, then list all institutions attended.

Application Process FAQs

Who do I contact if I have questions about the application process?

Complete the Request Information form or email adulteducation@k-state.edu.

Where do I find the application?

The online application can be accessed on the K-State Graduate School website.

What must be submitted as a part of the master’s application process?

  • A completed K-State Graduate School application
  • Graduate School Application Fee: A $50 application fee is required for all domestic students; $75 for international students. Your application will not be processed without this fee. Please pay by credit card online or make check payable to the K-State Graduate School, and include it with your application. International students may use an international cashier’s check or money order (in U.S. funds) payable to the K-State Graduate School, and include it with your application.
  • A statement of goals and professional experience which includes: Your reasons for seeking this degree; your intended area of specialization within the program; past and present employment; and future professional plans.
  • Two official transcripts from the regionally accredited institution awarding your bachelor’s degree.
  • If you have completed any previous graduate credits, two official transcripts from all institutions at which graduate credits were earned.

How long will it take to review my application? 

At the certificate and masters level, review occurs immediately. After all your application materials are received by the College of Education Office of Graduate Studies, the Adult Education department reviews all materials and makes a recommendation to the Graduate School. Official admission letters are sent from the Graduate School.

Do I have to be admitted to the program before I can take a course?

No. You can start courses as a non-degree seeking student through Global Campus. However, you must be fully admitted to the program by the conclusion of the first 9 credit hours. If your application is not complete at that time, you will be blocked from taking any further courses. Understand that taking courses as a non-degree seeking student does not ensure your admission to any degree program.

If I want to start right away, what is the quickest way to apply and enroll?

If you have submitted a graduate application but want to enroll now for the next available class, you can enroll as a non-degree-seeking student through Global Campus. This will not affect your graduate school application and your student status will automatically change to degree-seeking when you are accepted into the program. However, taking a class as a non-degree-seeking student does not guarantee you will be accepted into the graduate program.

Financial FAQs

How much will the master’s degree cost?

Tuition is set by the Kansas Board of Regents each academic year (Fall-Summer) and tuition/fees may change at the beginning of each academic year (July 1st). For more on payment information and current tuition and fees, see the Tuition page.

Will I have to pay out-of-state tuition if I am not a Kansas resident?

No, both in-state and out-of-state students pay the same tuition rate to complete the Masters, Certificate, or Doctoral credits in Adult and Continuing Education (EDACE) at K-State Olathe, Ft. Leavenworth and online. Courses completed at the Manhattan campus are subject to out-of-state tuition.

Will I have to pay for the course when I enroll?

No, you will be billed through the K-State Cashier's Office and will receive notification through your K-State e-mail account that your E-bill is available for viewing. You can also log into K-State's Student Information System (iSIS) to see your account summary.

Are there any scholarships available?

Yes. There are three scholarships are specific to the adult and continuing education program:

  • George E. Spear Adult Education Scholarship
    Recipient of this scholarship will be a graduate student admitted to the Master of Science Degree Program in Adult and Continuing Education at K-State. Preference is given to an off-campus adult education student who shows financial need, and first priority will be given to students in the greater Kansas City metro area. Second priority will be given to students in the greater Wichita metro area. Students must be in full compliance with all Graduate School/Adult Education Master’s Program requirements. Consecutive awards to a recipient are allowed.
  • W.W. and Dorothy Lee Memorial Scholarship in Adult and Occupational Education
    The recipient shall be any student properly enrolled at K-State who is majoring in Adult and Occupational Education.
  • The Robert Scott Memorial Scholarship
    Recipients of this scholarship shall be students properly enrolled at K-State in a master’s or doctoral curriculum in the College of Education in curriculum designed to prepare specialists in adult, occupational, vocational or continuing education. Recipients shall receive this scholarship on an annual basis renewable for up to two years total for a student in the master’s program and up to three years total for the doctoral program.

Adult Education Scholarships Application

Other scholarships may be available through Global Campus.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available for all master’s and doctoral programs, typically via student loans. Applying for financial assistance almost always begins by completing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). There are a few scholarships designated for Adult Education students, (see above question). Contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance for additional opportunities.

Request More Information