1. K-State home
  2. »College of Education
  3. »Academic Programs
  4. »Graduate Programs
  5. »Endorsements for Licensure
  6. »District Leadership (Superintendent) Endorsement

College of Education

District Administrative Leadership Licensure (Superintendent)

This endorsement qualifies you to be a District Superintendent at the PK–12 level. You must have a graduate degree, complete the requirements for the District Leadership program with a 3.25 or higher GPA, have a current Professional Teaching License and pass the PRAXIS subject assessment test. You must also have 3 years of experience in the school while on a Professional License. Like the Teaching License, you begin your leadership career with a two-year Initial License. Students who already hold a master’s degree in educational leadership may apply those degree hours toward this license.

Initial District Leadership License (60 Total Required Credits)

Prerequisite to pursuit of District License (36 Credits)*

  • Candidates for the initial district license must have a masters degree from an accredited university. 
  • Candidates must hold a current Kansas building administrator license OR have satisfied the requirements for the Initial Building Leadership License. 
  • Candidates must have completed the School Superintendent Assessment (through ETS www.ets.org) with a score of 157 or above.

District Leadership (24 Credits)

  • EDLEA 801 - Ethical Dimensions of Educational Leadership (3 Credits) **
  • EDLEA 827 - Political and Community Leadership in Education (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 830 - Introduction to Educational Facility Planning (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 834 - Strategies for Educational Change (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 845 - Leadership for Diverse Populations (3 Credits) 
  • EDLEA 901 - The School District Leader (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 950 - Advanced School Business Management (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 986 - Advanced Seminar: District Technology Leadership (3 Credits)
  • EDLEA 902 - District Leader Internship (1 Credit) ***

* Candidates holding degrees from other universities may be required to take additional coursework to total 60 hours beyond the bachelor’s degree. Candidates interested in district leadership for special education should consult with the department’s district-level leadership license officer for current requirements.

** If the candidate obtained building licensure through Kansas State University and his/her transcript shows completion of EDADL 886 Ethical Dimensions of Leadership during the building license program, this requirement has been satisfied. Otherwise, the requirement applies.

*** Students are required to document a minimum 150 clock hours guided field experience through the formal intership and other coursework (i.e. additional internship requirements are imbedded in many courses in the licensure sequence to assist in reaching the 150 clock hour requirement). The department requires that at least 25% of clock hours be spent in a diverse setting, defined as a site in which the ethnic/racial/economic diversity composition is 25% or greater.

Professional District Leadership License

After receiving an initial license, students must complete a one-year supervised internship in an administrative leadership position to earn the professional license.

Applying for your license:

  • After completing the coursework and practicum, applicants for the initial license must also meet the following KSDE requirements:
    1. Hold a currently valid Kansas professional teaching license.
    2. Complete the master’s degree with a cumulative grade point average of 3.25.
    3. Complete the Praxis exam for District Leadership (See http://www.ets.org/praxis/ks/requirements - Administrator/School Leader). To have your score sent to Kansas State University, enter code #6334 when registering for the Praxis test.
    4. Have recent teaching experience or coursework (i.e., at least one year of teaching or 8 credit hours within the last six years).
    5. Verify five years of experience in a state-accredited school while holding a standard teaching or school specialist license and having achieved the professional-level license.
  • The Form 1 application can be found on the KSDE website.
    → Step-by-step instructions for Form 1 (PDF)
For more information about the Building Administrative Leadership Licensure, please contact:

Dr. Mary Devin